Monday, April 2, 2012

We Live In A World Of Boundaries

"The simple fact is that we live in a world of conflict and opposites because we live in a world of boundaries.  Since every boundary line is also a battle line, here is the human  predicament:  the firmer one's boundaries, the more entrenched are one's battles. The more I hold onto pleasure, the more I necessarily fear pain.  The more I pursue goodness, the more I am obsessed with evil.  The more I seek success, the more I must dread failure.  The harder I cling to life, the more terrifying death becomes.  The more I value anything, the more obsessed I become with its loss.  Most of our problems, in other words, are problems of boundaries and the opposites they create."

Excerpted passage from Ken Wilber's book entitled, NO BOUNDARY Eastern and Western Approaches to Personal Growth
ISBN 978-0-394-74881-8 (pbk.)

No comments:

Post a Comment