Monday, July 4, 2011

"Why is it..."


Artic Fox, by Stephen Oachs      National Geographic


On Being A Woman,
by Dorthy Parker

Why is it, when I am in Rome,
I'd give an eye to be at home,
But when on native earth I be,
My soul is sick for Italy?

And why with you, my love, my lord,
Am I spectacularly bored,
Yet do you up and leave me-
then I scream to have you back again?


Dorthy Parker was born on August 22, 1893 and died on 
June 7, 1967 at the age of 73. 
She was an American poet, short story writer,
and satirist, best know for her wit, wisecracks, 
and eye for 20th century urban foibles.

From a conflicted and unhappy childhood, Parker rose to acclaim, both for her literary output in such venues as The New Yorker and as a founding member of the Algonquin Round Table.  To read more about Dorthy Parker go to: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorthy_Parker

 

No comments:

Post a Comment